You may have noticed that I have been in love with thrifted shirts that have embroidery details! This refash is no exception.
I fell in love with this red rose embroidery, however I am not a huge fan of button down shirts.
Time to transform this!
I carefully removed the sleeves. Then pinned and sewed a new hem around the arm holes. I also took in the sides of the shirt to make it more fitted.
I found the best way to do these alterations is to turn the shirt inside out and put it on my dress form. I also buttoned the shirt, which is a tricky task since the shirt is inside out. Tricky, but not impossible!
Time to removed the collar! Then stitched up the seam.
I saved the sleeves just in case I needed them.
Then the light bulb in my brain turned on and I decided to make a sash out of the sleeves!
I laid the sleeves next to each other, and trimmed off the side with the buttons.
A quick press with the iron helped keep the material in line when I sewed them. Note: I sewed the length of the sleeves with the fabric inside out. Then sewed end opposite the cuffs.
Then it was time to turn the sleeves right side out. I loved the tiny cuff at the end and left it open. I attached the 2 sleeves together by a piece of lace, which made the sash nice and long! And pretty too!
Did I mention this fabric was nice and light, just in time for some summer weather!