Hey there readers! Today we are going back in time to the toooh-tally tubular 80s!
This dress is totally ugly to the max! This poor dress is in dire need of some updating!
I used a dress that I really liked the length to use as a guide on where to hem my new dress.
I hemmed my new dress with a 1 inch hem.
I removed the 3 buttons from the waist. I did actually like the buttons where they were but I came up with a better idea!
Que the embroidery machine!
I found a very pretty embroidery pattern from Embroidery Designs.
I altered the original thread colors to black, silver and medium gray.
I wanted to make a statement neckline for this dress. I opted for a key hole neckline. I used a glass bowl for a template.
I sewed up the neckline on the maroon neckline and the black part of the dress.
I used a very pretty decorative stitch to sew the black portion of the neckline, which made it loose it’s shape. I then had to fix this problem stitching it closer up the neckline to the maroon part.
Lastly, I wanted to use another decorative stitch for some detail on the sleeves. I had to use my seam ripper to open up the sleeves to make sewing on the sleeves possible. This actually worked out GREAT because I had to take in the sleeves by 1/2 in. to 1 in.
I drew the path of the stitch with tailor’s chalk.
I mimicked the colors that were in the waistband for the detail on the sleeves. Which I think this really ties the dress together!
I took in the sleeves and part of the waist to make this a little more snug!
For my Birthday present my very talented friends made me these beautiful wooden signs! You could own some of their work too! Check out Blue Water Woodcraft on Etsy!